Please join me on Feb 21 at Capitol Hill Montessori @ Logan or on Feb 27 at CHAW to share your thoughts on the District's proposed State Accountability Plan.
Ward 6 | Feb. 21 | 6-8 p.m. | Capitol Hill Montessori at Logan, 215 G St. NE. Register here for Feb. 21
Ward 6 | Feb. 27 | 6-8 p.m. | Capitol Hill Arts Workshop, 545 Seventh St. SE. Register here for Feb. 27
If you can’t join us in #Ward6, please join another conversation. Click here for more information.
Physical Education Standards
During January's working session, the State Board heard a recommendation from the Office of the State Superintendent of Education on updating District-wide physical education standards. These academic standards will cover all students from pre-kindergarten through high school age. Physical education standards were last approved in 2008. An SBOE vote is scheduled at the February public meeting.
Changes to DC School Lottery?
And, remember, your My School DC Lottery Applications for Early Ed through Grade 8 are due by March 1.
Oversight & Budget Hearings
Below you will find the schedule of upcoming Council Hearings on education –related issues.
PERFORMANCE OVERSIGHT HEARINGS
- Feb. 10 – Department of Parks & Recreation at 11:00 am (412) – sign up via Transportation & Environment Cmte
- Feb. 14 – Office of the State Superintendent of Education at 11:00 am (412)
- Feb. 15 – Deputy Mayor for Education / State Board of Education at 10:00 am (123)
- Feb. 17 – Department of Health at 11:00 am (412) – sign up via Health Committee
- Feb. 22 – DC Public Library at 10:00 am (412)
- Feb. 23 – DCPS Public Witnesses at 10:00 am (500)
- Feb. 28 – Department of General Services at 11:00 am (500) – sign up via Transportation & Environment Cmte
- Feb. 28 – Public Charter School Board / Bullying Prevention Taskforce (123)
- Mar. 2 – DCPS Government Witnesses at 10:00 am (412)
- Apr. 25 – Deputy Mayor for Education at 10:00 am (123)
- Apr. 26 – Office of the State Superintendent of Education at 11:00 am (120)
- Apr. 27 – DCPS Public Witnesses *10am start – RECESS – 5pm start* (500)
- May 1 – DC Public Library at 11:00 am (412)
- May 3 – DCPS Government Witnesses at 10:00 am (412)
- May 4 – Public Charter School Board / State Board of Education at 10:00 am (412)
You can sign up to testify for any or all of the Education Committee hearings online here: https://bit.do/educationhearings The Department of Health (school nurse contract) is under the Council Health Committee, and Department of General Services (school modernization) and Department of Parks and Recreation (co-located recreation facilities) are through the Transportation and the Environment Committee.
Parents are always welcome to provide written testimony if that works better than appearing in person. For Education Committee hearings, written statements can be emailed to Jess Giles at the Committee at email@example.com and will be made a part of the official hearing record (please also share with Laura Marks on Councilmember Allen's team). The full hearing schedule can be found here.
Education Committee Chairman David Grosso will be visiting Advisory Neighborhood Commission 6A tomorrow evening. The meeting will begin at 6:00 PM at Miner ES. 601 15th Street NE.